sunnuntai 20. marraskuuta 2011

20: i don't sleep

viime yönä pusersin kasaan kello 2:37 2700 sanaa ja ylitin siis 40000 sanan rajan. jos pidän tahtini yllä olen valmis jo neljän päivän kuluttua. valitettavasti koeviikkoni on nyt aluillaan ja lukusuunnitelmani mukaan minulle ei jää yhtään "tyhjää" päivää jolloin lukeminen jäisi vähiin. minulla on vain viisi koetta mutta kursseilla keskittyminen on jäänyt vähän vähiin, joten lukemista tulee sitäkin enemmän. lohduttaudun kuitenkin sillä että kirjoitettavana on enää 10000 sanaa ja pääsin juuri yhteen klimaattisimmista kohtauksista. olen nyt luvussa 26, toivottavasti ette saa minua kiinni::D.

tänään saatte myös vähän silmänruokaa ranskan- ja ruotsintuneilla toteutettujen flawless-sketchieni muodossa. vasemmanpuolimmainen sivu liittyy osittain tähän lukuun, osa räpellyksistä taas myöhempiin tai aikaisempiin. kuka onkaan kuka, sen saatte itse päätellä! :) mahtuuhan mukaan tietenkin vähän muutakin... :::D


 Chapter Twenty

With the assistance of Severina I managed to wind-chat with the fire councelors and arrange a meeting at The Cities. I explained briefly the situation, changing a few facts of course. I mentioned nothing of Tristen or Severina yet. In case I would, I would say it face to face. I had five days. Five days until Sunday – five days to stop whatever Tristen was up to, as if I somehow knew.
When I appeared at The Cities, I somehow mistook the elementals being merciful for me that day. I turned out to be wrong. Monday is the day of wind, Circus had explained. Apparently Wind wasn’t in the jolliest mood. Anyhow, I had been thinking about Pause – it was a very peaceful place on Mondays – at least on Earth. I ended up blocks away in between a chapel and video rental shop – the most unlikely combination. On Earth it had been a haunted place I had never felt myself comfortable in: on weekends it was full of pedophiles, or on the contrary, priests and senior citizens. They both treated me the equal way; the single moment they noticed my pink combats and bridge they acted like they had never seen me.
On Kaiya the place was crowded. Looking at the flocks of teenagers lounging around the chapel backyard I wondered if kaiyans ever went to school.
Pause was 30 minutes away, but I couldn’t risk losing the time. The elemental tokens weighed in my pockets and I found myself fiddling them subconsciously. Even though The Cities most likely had buses, there hadn’t been a bus stop nearby, not even on Earth. Even the cabs never drove over there, and well, it was pretty hard to call a cab without knowing their number, which of course (because it was Kaiya) was impossible.
Leaning against a lamppost I had taken out one elemental token and stared at the surface with concentration. My lack of understanding the language of darkness made the carvings look like indefinable runes. Only tell what you want, and these will take you there.
Without conscious thought I found my lips forming her name. “Rilla,” I voiced, and the world changed.
At first it looked as usual as clouds passing over the sun, darkening the daylight. Sooner I could notice it was something else. Somehow it reminded me of color splash photos of a desaturated world with one splotch of color. Except that in real life I could still see the colors, only darker, with the exception of an undeniable spark of light behind the shop, like the sun had peaked through the clouds only to set it on alight.
I could without hesitation tell it was the same phenomenon as with Fera and the tunnels. It had been very different with the frenzy of music and light. As I instinctively took a turn and followed the open door into a maze of tunnels, some of them in light, some in dark, I couldn’t help wondering if it really was Fera’s plan all along: to make me follow him, drug me, make me spill out my secrets and eventually lead me to the hands of his master, in which he had failed.

At the very end of the path anyone could have said they had gone wrong. The light had ultimately ended me into a dark corridor behind a large, wooden door painted a grayish blue. Behind me the path had gone dark, but the elemental token in my hand pulsed like a beating heart, sending jolts of warmth and safety through me. There was something distant in it, too – the element darkness, perhaps. “Is this it?” I found myself whispering, reaching towards the door. To my surprise, there was no knob. My careful attempt of leaning towards it and listening failed miserably from the very beginning; I tripped into my own feet and crashed painfully towards the door.
“For the sake of the Elementals,” a familiar voice cursed behind the door. “Someone’s trying to break in.”
“Weird way to come in,” someone shrugged – Chyse, undeniably him. “Should I open?”
“Do it,” I heard Nolan command, and the door exploded in my face.
“Anybody out there?” Chyse shouted, his head peeking outside. I saw him scan towards every direction with the exception of mine, lump his shoulders and sigh. “No-one. Maybe it’s just some prankster again.”
The blow of the incoming door had knocked out the breath of my lungs, squeezing me painfully in between the door and the tunnel wall. I hadn’t had any time to yell, even less utter a little ‘ugh’ to notify I were somewhere in there. “Menaces, those are,” Chyse phrased, pulling the door back, removing the weight off my chest. But before he managed to close it, I hurled myself between the door and him.
A yell erupted from Chyse’s throat and I felt myself collapsing against him, knowing what were to happen: soon we would roll across the room tightly compressed into a ball. “What’s there?” I heard Nolan exclaim, and the next thing I knew was I lay atop of Chyse on a tiger pelt, something cold and sharp against my back. I managed a cough, and as I turned my head, Nolan jerked his hand back, his face chalk white. An ethereal chandelier hung atop his head, his coffee brown hair shining like a halo. “Hilary,” he gasped, something silvery glittering in his hand. A loud gulp forced down my throat. “Is that a knife?”
“Actually, this is a machete,” Nolan corrected, examining at the slightly curved blade. “It could have sliced you in two. What was all that about?”
“Chyse squeezed me against the door,” I whimpered, my gaze scanning the room around me. Each wall was different: one covered in an ancient wood panel, another coated with an Asian ruby red wallpaper. There was something familiar and something foreign in the place simultaneously. The topmost I was taken aback by the bizarreness of the place: it looked like some sort of sick combination of a hunting lodge, a drug lair and someone’s home.
“Excuse me,” someone muttered under me, his breath hot against my ribs. “But you are squeezing me.”
Her face embarrassingly red, Rilla reached out a hand to pull me up, freeing Chyse from his pain. He lay half dead on the tiger pelt as if he had fought a 48-hour infernal battle and finally slain the beast. “That… that is a tiger pelt,” I managed to utter, still confused where I were. “But they’re endangered.”
“In Kaiya, they’re extinct,” Nolan notified, sticking his machete in a stand atop his table. Next to it was a Chinese cabinet which looked like a trophy showcase.
“Don’t say you killed the last one,” I said, staring bewildered at the machete. It wasn’t the only weapon in the room. “What’s up with all the weapons? Suddenly everyone’s carrying two-edged swords and crossbows like shopping bags. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a lightsaber or a revolver laying somewhere around here. Where am I?”
Nolan sighed, exhaling deeply as the color flushed back on his face. Even Chyse showed signs of life – his fingers twitched. “Weapons are here only in case. The culture of Kaiya is really pacifist: they are only relics of the past. Most of these are from the Fire castle,” Nolan explained, his hands pointing all around. “I received them as housewarming gifts as I moved here.”
My eyes widened. “What strange things to give as housewarming gifts. I myself received a wine bottle.” There was a pause while my eyes rested on a pair of light blue doors, just like the ones I had came through. They had clouds painted over them rather artistically, nothing like the 5-year old sketches I made. “Wait a sec. You live here?”
“Yes,” Nolan said. “This is the City of Fire.”
“We were just leaving,” Rilla began, her distressed gaze never leaving Chyse. “When you stormed in. How did you find it here?”
The darkness token had slipped from between my fingers as Chyse and I tumbled on the floor, but it hadn’t rolled far. I picked it up under the dead tiger’s paw and raised it up high, the dim candlelight reflecting off the glossy surface. “A darkness token. Severina gave it to me.”
With my words Chyse somehow forced himself up, staring curiously at the token in between my fingers. I could notice that now, after use the carvings on it had worn out as if a layer had been scrubbed off, the token now being a blank mineral disc. “So this explains why you arrived through the back door.”
I gazed behind me, but saw nothing more than the blue doors behind me.
“But… that’s a closet.”
“But also a door,” Nolan explained, “A door to a dangerous world. There are many levels to a world. The tunnels are one of Kaiya. The doors are hard to find and reveal risky things of this realm.”
That sounds serious, I thought, staring incredulously at Nolan’s severe face. Chyse however didn’t look as grave. “The tunnels are a gateway to virtually anywhere, if you only know where to look. They are a world completely of their own. It’s like the nightlife of Kaiya – once you get in, you’ll never get out.”
“Hestia often goes to the tunnels with Ariel,” Rilla mentioned. “The party down there never stops.”
“I know,” I blurted, somehow subconsciously knowing I couldn’t hold back for longer. “I saw them there.”
“Does this have something to do with your situation?” Chyse asked, walking across the room to a zebra-patterned couch. “We’re all here, so why not talk things through whilst we still can? We don’t have to leave anywhere.”
I shrugged, following Chyse to the couch. I noticed he had laid his feet atop a coffee table built out of human bones. A shudder jolted through me. “I guess,” I swallowed painfully. “If someone sits in that armchair over there. I don’t want the tiger staring at me while I confess my deepest secrets.”
“You’ll get used to this surprisingly fast,” Chyse continued, spacing out as Rilla sat next to her to the corner of the couch. “With all the skulls and animal heads staring at you all the time.”
“Tea?” Nolan asked suddenly, carrying a terracotta tray and a Japanese tea pan. I answered with an instant nod. “I know we won’t be drinking this the traditional way, but I would prefer a chair instead of the floor.”
Nolan passed me the pan, and as I poured hot water in a huge, green cup (hopefully not made out of bones), I felt the truth on the tip of my tongue like it could spill out any minute soon. “It’s going to be difficult to explain this,” I began, the scent of green tea dazing my senses. “It’s really not that complicated, but… hard to digest.”
Nolan tilted his head with interest. “Well, go ahead. What is the point?”
Instead of words the truth came out of my mouth as a mush of syllables.
“What?” I heard Nolan exclaim, and someone choked onto their tea. “What did you say?”
“Severina is my sister,” I repeated.
Rilla coughed, staring blankly at my fingers. “Hilla,” she croaked, her face red. “Your hands are shaking.”
I lowered my cup thoughtlessly. Next to me Chyse stared into emptiness.
“What does this have to do with anything?” Nolan asked, his fingers rubbing his chin like they would stroke a beard. I sighed, sipping my tea. “Let’s do it the other way around. I think I’ve found an explanation for what’s happening in Kaiya.”
“What’s it, then?” Chyse asked his face still expressionless. “What do you think is happening in Kaiya?”
But before I could answer, Rilla had already opened her mouth.
“A change,” she began. “Elemental imbalance.”
“Yes, Rilla,” I continued, slightly taken aback. “And I’m here to explain who’s to cause it.”
There was a clink as Nolan’s cup clashed with the coffee table. His expression was official, the same kind of which was permanently glued on Circus’ face. “Are you here to accuse a council member of treachery?”
“Not to accuse,” I corrected instantly. “But to testify. I know the things are just like they are,” I said, naming all the issues of Kaiya I could think about: the haze, the Elementals, even mentioning the break-in into the old Archives. “There is someone behind all these events. And this is not all. There is more to come. They’re all part of some greater plan.”
Nolan’s tone had gone blank, devoid of all emotion. “Hilary,” he warned, his eyes burning like dark coals. “You are making a serious accusation. I am not the right person to accept an accusation of this severity. You must stand by the council and explain the situation there. And be aware that when you say the name, you cannot take it back.”
“But I’m not making an accusation,” I said from beneath my teeth. “I’m only speaking the-“
“Without proof any accusation is futile.”
I felt anger in my toes, my fingertips. “Will you stop being such a shithead and listen to me for a second?”
Nolan fell silent, his hands as white as his face. Without saying a word, he took his cup of tea to his mouth and swallowed it with a few heavy gulps.
“Better,” I sighed, my voice still shaking. “It’s not that easy! It’s not been long since… Well, Aurora told me there’s someone behind this. She told me no name, but hinted somewhere in that direction. Then I saw this vision of a man on the desert and-“
“It’s Tristen,” Chyse interrupted, now completely present and awake. “Isn’t it?”
“And he was controlling souls,” I continued briefly. “Severina told me it’s him, and that… well – I’m not really a child of darkness. I think you guessed it. My element is wind. It’s just… Severina took me under her protection, because she knew his father would be after me.”
As the pieces seemed to click together I saw the expressions around me stiffen. Even Nolan had fallen dead silent: a sign that something was wrong. “But if Severina is your sister…” Rilla began, her blue eyes boring onto mine. “Doesn’t that make Tristen your father?”
“I hate to say it, but yes.”
Rilla’s eyes were wide as she scanned me from head to toe. “Now that I look at you, you and he look a hell a lot alike,” she said.
“That’s how I guessed it’s him,” Chyse added. “You’ve got the same eyes.”
“That’s also what Severina – uhm – my sister told me. I just hope there’s nothing else alike in us than the way we look like.”
Chyse and Rilla forced smiles on their faces, whereas Nolan looked only very thoughtful. His eyes flickered, a battle raging within, whether he should follow his heart or his mind.
“Let’s all hope that,” he finally said, and as I buried my gaze in my cup of tea, my amber eyes reflecting of the surface as pieces of gold, a voice spoke inside my head – my conscience – and instead of mine, the voice was Fera’s.
Oh, but there is, he said, and in my mind I could see the razors of his eyes flash.
“There are things in my father’s past which I have to find out,” I said after a long pause, stirring a spoon absently in my tea. “There is something I have to seek for: a notebook. This… mein Gott, this is more complicated than I thought. I don’t have time to explain it all. But there’s one person I need to find to get it back. It’s Fera.”
“Fera?” Nolan leaned forward in his chair. Behind him the frowning tiger head seemed to laugh at my despair. “The amnesiac boy from The Cities?”
“Honestly, I don’t know what he is.”
Nolan’s expression was anguished. “Why haven’t you told us these things before? Does anyone else know?”
I answered with a shake of my head. The gesture felt hard, almost forced, and I could feel my muscles going limp.
“We should inform the others,” Chyse suggested. “At least Talia. She seemed to be very worried of Fera the last time.”
“Actually, there’s one thing you should know…”
But before I could explain it all I felt my vision going black and my head droop down, falling involuntarily into the unconscious state of dreamless sleep.

When I woke up the light had turned from afternoon red to midnight blue. It shone dimly through the heavy curtains of a single window. It took me a second to identify my location and the time of day. The coffee table had been cleaned and the chandelier hung unlit above my head. Very slowly I allowed my eyes adapt to the darkness, correcting my fetal position, causing a loud snap erupt from my joints.
“That was the most absurd scenario of falling asleep I have ever seen,” Nolan said, his voice ringing lonely in the dark.
“Really?” I laughed, my muscles still rigid and sore. “What time is it?”
“Around midnight,” Nolan answered, something sparkling between his fingers – one of his weapons again? “Though it doesn’t really matter.”
There was a curious absentness in his moves – he circled the room like a tranquilized tiger ready to become a pelt. As he walked past me, I could hear what had originally awoken me – a silent hum beneath his lips – a song I could well recognize.
“Where do you know that song?” I asked as I rose up from the armchair with a yawn. Nolan cut his hum abruptly, right where Madonna had sung you made me feel shiny and new.
“This? It’s a song from my childhood,” Nolan answered, now frozen at his tracks. “One of the few things of Earth I remember.”
There was an amusement in my tone as I spoke my eyebrows upraised. “Isn’t that song kind of inappropriate for a kid of your age? Like a virgin! Touched for the very first time!”
Nolan’s eyes widened. “I never paid attention to the lyrics,” he shrugged, humming the remnants of the chorus – when your heart beats next to mine. “I just remember it, just like someone remembers their very first words. What is the song called?”
“Like A Virgin,” I vocalized. “A song by Madonna. Is there anything else you remember?”
Nolan’s tone was blank. “All the Earth bands I know are centuries old. I doubt you know them.”
“I doubt you know my favorite bands neither,” I leaned against the couch. “Coldplay, Snow Patrol…”
Nolan nodded as if of interest, but there was a blank lack of expression on his face. I could see he hadn’t slept. Chyse and Rilla were both gone. What was he still doing there?
“You didn’t wake me up,” I found myself saying. “Why?”
“We didn’t bother,” Nolan answered. “After what you have gone through… it is understandable to lose your sleep. I am experiencing the same phenomenon right this second. It’s about Circus.” There was a short pause, and I could hear Nolan exhale heavily. His hair was tousled and he hadn’t shaved, making him look older and… different. “I have been trying to contact her for hours, but there has been no answer. She must be busy.”
Nolan’s heavy eyebrows furrowed over his eyes nervously, and for a swift second I thought I could understand. “Is there something between you two? You’re always so… close.”
Nolan smiled vaguely. “No. We are just really old friends.”
“Are you gay?”
There was a loud clink of metal against metal and a flash, as a set of knifes arranged according to their sharpness and size hit the wooden floor and pierced it like butter. A set of double doors in the distance opened, and Chyse stormed in, dressed alone in his boxer shorts. Rilla followed him drowsily, her thick hair an auburn explosion around her face. She, thank goodness, was wearing a nightgown.
“For the sake of the elements,” Rilla cussed, rubbing her eyes. She still had her makeup on, and it smudged around her eyes making her look like a raccoon. “What’s happening here? It’s one AM!”
“Just an accident,” Nolan answered, his eyes not really focused on anywhere, but I couldn’t help speculating whether he would have wanted to look at Chyse’s six-pack. “We’re sorry we woke you up.”
Then Chyse looked at me, and inside my mind I tried to imagine him wearing at least some pants. “You’re awake,” he said, and I stared breathlessly at Nolan whose chest heaved as he focused to restrain his emotions. “How did you sleep?”
“Well,” I answered, but not as well as you did.
Rilla had been very silent all the time, maybe due her drooping eyelids and swaying figure, but now, her eyes adapted to the darkness around her, she struggled no more to stay awake. “Any news? Of Talia? There was something you were to tell about her.”
“Yeah…” I breathed, taking hold of Nolan’s armchair to keep up my balance. “Let’s just make it simple. I’m a shithead,” I announced, my arms wide. “One forsaken shithead. The single one shithead in this universe.”
Talia’s expression told me more than a thousand words: What. The. Hell?
“I went saying some bad things to Talia. Very bad things,” I added. “Now she’s angry at me. I haven’t seen her in a day.”
The silence hanging between us was awkward, disturbing – the kind of silence I knew was wrong. “Does she hold grudges?”
“We don’t know,” Chyse answered, his teeth gnashed. “We’ve never seen her angry.”
 “What kind of things did you say to her?”
“Basically,” I answered Rilla, “I accused her of being a jealous shithead who interests me as much as hell. Oh, and I claimed her of having wet dreams of me.”
A sharp noise escaped between Chyse’s teeth. “Ouch. That is badass.”
“That is fairly badass,” Rilla complemented.
A scream of frustration escaped beneath my lips and I threw my hands up in exasperation. “But I hate being badass! All the people I’ve hated have been somehow badass. And I don’t want to hate myself.”
You will, a cold laughter tingled the back of my neck. In the end, you will.
The floor was clear yet again and Nolan’s knives had been placed neatly in their stand. As I watched him, I tried finding traces of anger or fear, but none showed. He could have even smiled if he wanted to. “It’s up to the three of us now,” he said. “Talia and Circus… neither of them seem to answer.”
“How much time do we have?” Chyse asked, raking his sandy blonde hair.
Rilla yawned loudly, her arms drawing circles in the air. “Enough time to go back to sleep,” she said, throwing herself on the couch. “Five minutes.”
5760 minutes, 96 hours, four days.
And each second of the night as I watched Rilla, Chyse and Nolan sleep around me, we were losing time.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti