torstai 10. marraskuuta 2011

10: chaos

nyt saatte valitettavasti tyytyä pelkkiin lukuihin, sillä en ole kirjoittanut mitään pariin päivään eikä siis ole mitään uutta. hahmojen ulkonäkö on kuitenkin alkanut jonkin verran selkeytyä koska kuvataidelukiolaisena tietenkin olen myös heitä piirrellyt. mahtuihan mukaan myös jonkin verran random tuherruksia. ottakaa hei näitä katsoessanne huomioon kellonaika johon näitä tein - tuhertelin näitä puoliunessa siinä puoli kahdentoista maissa:::D onko teillä nyt ehtinyt tähän mennessä muodostua vaikka omaa suosikkia? tai kuvastaako joku sketcheistä jonkun persoonaa erityisen hyvin? oma suosikkihahmonihan on severina, mutta mielestäni sketcheistä chyse ja nolan onnistuivat parhaiten. mitä mieltä te olette?
  

now you'll have to cope with barely chapters, due i haven't written anything in few days so i don't have much new to post. however, my characters have started to form appearances because as an art stundent i've of course been drawing them (notice also the random sketches in the bottom of the page:::D) notify that when i drew these i was half asleep and it was half past midnight. what about you, have you got any favorite characters? or do some of these sketches represent a character well? my own favourite character is severina, but i think chyse and nolan represent themselves the best as sketches. and you?

Chapter Ten

“Aren’t you overreacting a little? She could have just warped away,” Nolan suggested, but Chyse closed his eyes and shook his head. “No. She never does that without warning.”
“And warping isn’t that stable right now,” Talia informed. “I and Hilary ended up in the most unlikely place – and got almost driven over by a truck.”
“Don’t remind me.”
“But it’s not the only thing,” she continued. “Two words: the Archives.”
Nolan and Chyse yelped helplessly, sounding almost feminine. “That’s a bad omen.”
“Thanks Nolan, for making me feel better,” Chyse snapped. Talia frowned restlessly.
“The elements are reckless here. Powerful emotions draw them.”
I suddenly thought of what Severina had taught me at the high council. What if Rilla had been so upset her element had gone out of control? It was like she had vanished into thin air… she wasn’t there anymore…
“It’s possible that in case she tried warping, it has taken her to a different location.”
The guess came from the three of us simultaneously. “The Archives?”
Talia nodded gravely. I had never heard of such thing as the Archives, but there were two things easy to guess: 1) it was something bad and 2) they were located at my old high-school.
Well, we were in another dimension, after all.
“We should take a cab,” Chyse suggested as we dashed out the open door. “Even though warping might take us where Rilla is, the elements change their moods quickly.” As Chyse spoke, the wind changed direction. “Just like that.”
“I’ll call one,” Talia noted, waving her hand at a distant, silvery object. The cab pulled over, taking us in. Somehow it was very disturbing to drive a cab in another realm, but I was positively sure the thing didn’t run on gasoline. “Take us to Aqua,” Talia commanded, offering the driver something I was sure wasn’t cash. Crawling into the tight taxi in between two guys and Talia wasn’t exactly easy, but at least we could talk without the driver hearing.
“What’s Aqua? Why didn’t you just say the-“
Talia shut me up with a gaze. “Aqua is a hotel near them,” she whispered. “It’s not safe to mention them here.”
“Why?” I demanded, making sure the driver didn’t give us angry looks. Play hadn’t been far from my school, so we didn’t have much time. “Is it really that bad?”
Chyse sighed nervously. “Trust me, it’s worse.”
Chyse turned expectantly at Nolan, who started to speak instantly. “The Archives are a sacred place of Kaiya’s elemental matter. They contained a large amount of ancient books, maps and material.”
“Wait a second, did you just say contained?”
“The Archives of The Cities exist no longer there,” Talia filled in. “But it’s still a sacred place of elemental power. Even in the times they were still there, only skillful guardians could enter.”
A tense grin spread on my face. “And? What happened to them?”
“They were broken into six years ago,” Nolan explained. “Nothing was taken, and there is no record of who did it – but the elemental affect on the place was traced instantly. The Archives were hidden, and no councelor knows where they are now.”
Why? But why – mein Gott, why did they have to exist in my old school? Finding my own corpse wasn’t exactly what I was looking for.
“What were they after?” I asked as we curved on a familiar street. On Earth Hotel Aqua had been named differently. It was a large, white building with three floors and numerous balconies by a pool twice the size, fountains sprouting water like gigantic showers. We took a turn on a small street in between two apartment buildings. From there I could spot my old school, empty and haunted, like my death had drained all life out of it.
“I better not mention it here,” Nolan breathed. The traffic had slowed down, but it only emphasized the impression the building gave me. My school had always reminded me more of a museum than an academy.
As we entered the empty building I was struck by a sudden pressure which seemed to weigh me down. The air was thick as oil, dusty and full of overwhelming power. According to Nolan, the doors were always kept open. Only few were foolish enough to enter.
I almost had expected seeing lockers, flocks of students or even my old principal – or at least a trace of the sweaty aroma the football team left behind. None of them were there. The building was as alien as I had never been there before. I was sure my school wasn’t designed originally to be a school. The roof was high and there echoed everywhere. The gym class would have looked more like a ballroom if all the equipment was taken down. The tiny windows let out only streaks of light; the sun made the dust whirl in shapes and contours.
I tried to take one step ahead, but it felt as heavy as I was walking on the moon. “What-“
“They are traces of protective energy,” Nolan told. “They feel overwhelming at first. But you’ll get used to them fast.”
“We should really get moving,” Chyse exclaimed. “Rilla might be anywhere. This building is huge. If we only had a map…”
“There might be a spare map lying around somewhere,” Talia commented. “If they left something behind.”
Nolan shook his head incredulously. “No. They left nothing behind.”
Oh, but we have a map, I thought. But this being-a-map-business was harder than I thought. I couldn’t just go blurting out the whole city was a copy of my hometown on Earth. There had to be some other way…
“What’s the most likely place she’d reappear? We can’t just check every corner of every single room.”
Talia sighed. “I don’t think so. The elements do what they want, unless-“
Chyse’s expression lightened, as if from within. “Unless they feel drawn to a certain location. Follow me. I think I know where Rilla is.”
For some reason I didn’t trust Chyse, knowing he possibly couldn’t navigate himself around the way I could. He kept on strolling ahead us, faster by every second – his limbs getting slowly used to the air around them. I had really no time to look around. Every room was similar. They were absolutely empty. They had no single trace of furniture: no trace of any kind of shelf, table or cabinet I would expect in an archive. Nolan was correct. Nothing had been left behind.
My school was a three-floor building with two floors over ground, one under. The third floor had most of the classrooms, nothing really special. In the second floor there were also the principal’s office, teachers room, gym hall and cafeteria. Floor one was in the basement – it was also where Ashley took me. It consisted of a few classrooms such as chemistry and physics, the library and the toilets. Just like I, Chyse wasn’t particularly interested in any of the regular classrooms. He walked past the third floor staircase without making an attempt to get up. “There’s nothing in there,” he explained, and we agreed. He, however, did lead us into the gym, shutting the door behind him instantly. “Did you feel that?”
“A powerful trace of energy,” Nolan agreed. “Malevolent energy. It is intentionally applied. A distraction, I dare say.”
“Why?” I asked, while I tried to ignore the spooky silence hanging all around us. My speech echoed around me like I was in a tunnel. “Why was this place attacked? What could they be searching?”
Nolan sighed, perhaps a glint of pity shining in his dark eyes. How much there was I didn’t know!
“I usually don’t dare to speak this in such a powerful presence of the elements,” he spoke, glaring nervously around, as if there was someone listening. Or something. “And I neither will this time. What do you think, Hilary? What would it cause, if someone had control of all six elements?”
“Chaos?”
“Correct. A draw for several elements is not disruptive if the elements are in harmony. But mixing two opposites causes chaos. They defy each other.”
“The Archives contain dangerous information,” Chyse added. “Through them a person can reach anything – gain unlimited power, wisdom, strength. But this destroys man. The answer can be found only if it is looked for.”
Of course it could: it was obvious, but what was Chyse aiming at?
Nolan filled Chyse in. “He means; to find what is right one needs purpose. The elements are sensitive, impulsive, also reluctant to obey orders given by mankind. They only give in when the purpose is good.”
No element deep down is evil.
If Aurora was there, she would use some sort of symbol to explain it to me. I, myself, couldn’t come up with one, but there was one thing I knew. This same single something – or someone who had broken into the Archives was searching for a way to control the elements, to use them for a purpose. There were unexplained things: the odd hunches I had time to time, the haze hanging over Kaiya… and above all the dream I had in the beginning.
The one broken into the archives didn’t have a good purpose. If not willingly, forcibly.
Without me noticing, my feet had started moving. Chyse had been already looking through a couple of doors. Some he didn’t dare open, like he knew what was behind them. It was odd to see him wrinkle his brows or gasp in terror as he saw what I had known as the principal’s office or literature class. Maybe those traces were there, also on Earth – only without me noticing them.
“She’s not here,” Talia winced, noticing we had walked through the whole second floor. “Are you sure there’s nothing up there?”
“Positively.”
“There’s also a basement in this building,” I blurted.
Chyse raised a blonde brow, almost curiously. “How did you know that?”
“Intuition?”
“If you carry a draw for three elements, I’m horrified.”
Nolan huffed so hard his dark hair fluttered in the blow. “That’s impossible.”
Impossible. That’s the only word this guy knew.
I kept thinking about Chyse’s words. What did an elemental draw have to do with finding a basement? Unless…
My heart pounded as Chyse led us down the staircase I had walked often my last day on Earth. It was all dark without the fluorescent lights, but I knew where we were going. Only as we entered the hallway I suspected if we really were there.
I was already used to the lockers not being there, but as I turned around to face where I and Ashley had entered the bathroom doors, I only saw a blank wall.
I swallowed to loud everyone around me must have heard it.
As fast as it had taken over me, my agony was gone, suddenly replaced by an odd lightness, like a burden had been lifted off my shoulders.
“Dang,” Talia cussed. “I can really feel it in here. The protective spells have been completely removed.”
“Don’t get excited too fast,” Chyse notified. “It’s very much possible that…”
He was interrupted by such a piercing, high-pitched scream of torment it ripped my soul. Chyse’s eyes glassed with fear. His nod was as robotic as his speech. “That’s Rilla.”

We found her from the room I knew as our library.
Before we even could enter the room I saw shards of glass all around. They had tossed all around, so far from the doors they couldn’t be broken by human hands. The whole set of double doors was in shards. Behind them a set of heavier doors had flung open like from the impact of an enormous blow. Rilla lay in the middle of the room, twisting and turning, as if tortured. Her yell was deafening. There was nothing there with the exception of her. The sight terrified me. I could sense nothing inside the room, but reading from the look on the faces of Chyse and Nolan, they definitely could.
“What’s it? What’s wrong with her?”
My voice was harsh and sharp with fear, cutting the two awake like with a razor. Talia looked helpless, but she seemed to know what was going on.
“This was the most sacred place of the Archives,” she spoke, a haunted tone behind her voice. “The scrolls were-“
At the word scrolls Talia’s screaming turned wild, reaching a peak, her pupils turning upside down like she was possessed. Chyse shot a ferocious gaze at her, his eyes burning. Ignoring it, Talia continued. “She’s attacked by Fire, isn’t she? That’s how you found her, Chyse. You can sense draws!”
An awestruck expression pulled on my face. Guardians were all capable of this – sensing when an earthling of their element ends up somewhere. The instant moment balance shifted I knew you were coming. Could Chyse also-
“Can you sense tips in balance?” Talia breathed, almost in wonder, as if she was forgetting Rilla was being tortured in front of her eyes.
“It’s not the right time,” Chyse cried. “But yeah, you’re right. She’s possessed by Fire.”
I winced at the thought, remembering everything Aurora and Severina had taught me of the elements. Without control they were chaotic. My eyebrows furrowed in anguish as I knew the answer. We couldn’t help her.
I saw of Chyse’s eyes he couldn’t take it anymore. He was about to take a step towards Rilla, comfort her, futilely. But even before he could take a step a blow of energy made us tumble down, knocking us on our knees.
For swifter than a second the elements materialized. I could suddenly see Rilla burn – a dazing bonfire of flames around her, reaching up to the ceiling. In the speed of light they were struck by a force which resembled a building tide, and the two elements combined into pure energy, darting each other, continuing their everlasting struggle in the Spirit Realm.
It was complete stillness.
Exhausted, Chyse dragged himself across the floor, bending over Rilla. She was breathing, but there was a bestial glow in her eyes, like she was more animal than human. If I were Chyse, I would have expected Rilla to bite her any moment.
I turned my back, noticing Talia’s unconscious body next to me, along with a sixth figure joined amongst us.
“Circus!” Nolan’s voice filled with relief. “By all the Elements, why did you come here?”
Circus looked different – her usual blue guardian dress had changed into skinny pants and a long, flowing top. She, like I, was on her knees, barely awake. “Stay conscious,” Nolan cooed. “Don’t fade away.”
Circus? Was it her who summoned Water?
“I used all my power on that,” she croaked, sounding like someone had drained the saliva from her mouth. “I think I have to…”
But before she could pass out, Nolan took hold of her head and gazed straight into her cyan eyes. “Wake up,” he said, so persistently it made Circus open her eyes and stand on her own feet.
My head whirled around so fast I lost my sense of direction. Rilla, still stunned and unmovable under Chyse’s watching eye, unconscious Talia, Nolan waking Circus up with his mere words-
I let out a pure scream of ignorance.
Nolan’s focus turned instantly in my direction, his eyes full of the same kind of concern they were with Circus, like he was used to situations like these. “Did you get struck?”
My eyes flashed. “Struck by what?”
Nolan sighed. “So you didn’t.” He gave me a hand, helping me up. “What is it?”
“I’m so confused!” I held my head, like to prevent it from falling off. I really had a major headache. “What did just happen?”
“I knew it might be a little much for you. You just arrived, after all. This isn’t common. Don’t let it concern you.”
That’s what I thought. Seeing the Elements suddenly materialize in front of your eyes wasn’t exactly the everyday experience.
“Fire – Rilla – is she okay?”
Anyhow, Nolan seemed to pick something out of my stutter. “Ah, she’ll be fine. She was just in the wrong place in the wrong time. There are still powerful traces of the energy here. As Rilla entered, it was as if she was launching an animal trap. She couldn’t get out.”
His eyes turned to Talia, who lay in my feet as unmovable as she was dead. “I see she got struck, too.” He got on his knees, lifting Talia the same way he did with Circus. “Talia. Wake up.”
After a second her eyes opened sleepily, darker than they used to be. She blinked, waking up with a cough.
“How do you do that?”
Nolan grinned at my direction. There was something similar in him and Chyse, after all (eliminating the good looks.) “Just transferring my elemental strength into her.”
I took a quick look at Rilla, who seemed to be slowly regaining consciousness. Her words from our first meeting rang in my head. Nolan, for example, shows unusually good strength.
Without me noticing, Circus had appeared behind my back. She, together with Nolan, helped Talia up, and only Rilla remained. “How did you know we were in trouble?”
Circus smiled at Nolan’s question. It was a shy, little smile, like she wasn’t used to it. “I was at the hotel pool when I saw you go by. I followed you. Entering the Archives without permission is not a good idea.”
“Actually, it’s never a good idea, permission or no permission,” Nolan stated. “But what done is done.”
I turned at Circus, smiling in gratitude. “You saved her.”
But her look was blank, indifferent. “I don’t think so. Fire would have left her by time. I don’t think she is hurt, either.”
I raised my brows in awe, as Circus’ words came closer to right. Slowly but steadily Rilla rose on her own legs, with no trace of physical burns or pain. It was only in her eyes. They were bloodshot and in tears. Chyse offered her a hand, but she pushed it reluctantly away.
“You came after me,” she wheezed. “You knew where I was.”
“Thank Chyse,” Talia praised. “He can sense draws.”
Rilla’s bloodshot eyes seemed to clear for a while. “Really? For how long?”
“Longer than you think. It’s why Hestia accepted me to her council.”
It was funny, how the Kaiya teens were so similar but so different to the ones on Earth. Times they talked about relationships, fashion or just the juiciest gossip, but times their topics went to serious, mature stuff like the elements, awkward council terms and historical happenings. It was a whole new world I had claimed to know. But there was nothing I knew of it.
“Are you all right?” Talia continued. She had turned into some sort of hybrid of mom and teen Talia. “The screaming-“
“I screamed?”
Circus nodded knowingly. “I told you she isn’t hurt.”
“But… Fire possessed you. Do you remember anything? What happened?”
Rilla looked at all of us like it was something uneasy she didn’t want to bring up. As she began to recite the happenings, I still sensed she left something out. “I’m not particularly proud of my past on Earth. It keeps haunting me time to time. It sort of came back to me at the café. I felt really nervous and uneasy, so I went to the bathroom for a sec. All the thoughts and memories came flooding back to me. Then it all went blurry and I knew I wasn’t there anymore. The next thing I knew was I was burning. Fire… Fire showed me what would have happened if I had stayed.”
Our expressions were all equally enthralled. Before we started to ask any questions, Chyse pointed out or location and we walked out, now resistant to the energy around us. Yet, as we entered the cool evening air, the difference was like switching from a hot tub to an ice dive. We returned to the chilly Aqua hotel pool, taking seats by some fast food stand. Chyse and Nolan hurried instantly to take a bite, trying to persuade Rilla with them. She, however, remained silent, shaking her head and taking a quieter seat by the fountain.
My appetite was long gone. I hadn’t really eaten anything the last couple of days, but my concern seemed to wash my hunger away: my mind took over my needs.
“Rilla?” I called. A twilight sky hung over us, painting the fountain in my favorite colors. Water sprinkled on my face, forming vapor all around. I wondered, if I really would try, could I turn it into snow.
“Hilla,” Rilla answered, her voice breaking. I rushed to her, sitting on the water-drenched bench.
She raised her expression, light-blue eyes framed with pink whites. Her eyeliner had spread, making her look like a lost panda. She waited, the voices around us draining into the rush of water.
“Why, Rilla?”
She shook her head anxiously, auburn hair falling on her face.
“Do you know the feeling, when you feel sorry for something you shouldn’t?”
Her voice was crackled, an unrecognizable, almost grievous tone. I thought of her words, but couldn’t come up with an example. My mind was only blank.
“No,” I answered bluntly.
She turned her gaze into my direction, eyes boring onto mine. “Then tell me, Hilary, why is it that you are here?”

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti